“Running should be a lifelong activity. Approach it patiently and intelligently, and it will reward you for a long, long time.” –Michael Sargent
Fifth grade teacher Sherry Christensen hopes students from age 8 to 12 will learn the rewards and benefits of running by participating in a new club she is sponsoring. along with help from parent volunteer Amanda Seydler.
The San Marcos Academy Running Club will start on Monday, Jan. 28, and will will meet twice per week (Mondays and Thursdays) from 3:35– 4:30 p.m. The final day of the club will be Thursday, April 4. Two days later, the club will hold an on-campus 5K race Saturday, April 6, to bring their experience to a close.
While the club is built around the activity of running, the focus of the club is to promote the wellbeing of the child. The club will promote fitness and encourage sportsmanship and a positive mental attitude. Mrs. Christensen will be teaching basic techniques, skills and strategies of running. This will be an excellent opportunity for your child to learn about a lifelong fitness activity.
RUNNING CLUB GUIDELINES
1. Although attendance is voluntary, too many missed practices will result in being dropped from the club. Please write down on the log form if you can only run certain days.
2. Runners must be picked up by 4:30 p.m. from a club volunteer. Parents cannot pick up a runner while out on the course. Please pick up students at Davidson Hall in the living room. Runners who are not picked up at 4:30 will be placed in after school child care (fee involved).
3. Students must run while at the club. Small walking breaks are OK. No sitting out and watching. Parents can watch their child, but we’d rather have you walking or jogging with them.
4. Students not enrolled in Running Club may not wait on campus for other Club members to finish. Siblings and friends must go home if they are not in the club or use the after school care program (fee involved).
5. For their own safety, runners must wear only proper Running Shoes. No Sandals, Heels, Boots or Crocs.
6. Students will place their backpacks in the Davidson Hall living room area prior to stretching on the Monday and Thursday run days.
Ready to sign up? Complete the permission slip and return to Mrs. Christensen by Jan. 28. Then grab your running shoes and show up to hit the trail!
- Christmas Shopping at the Sabre December 5, 2019
- Eyes Open Wide: Lions Conduct Vision Screening December 2, 2019
- Red Ribbon Week: Stay Drug Free October 21, 2019
- Homecoming: SMA’s Oldest Living Graduate September 24, 2019
- Protecting Your Phone from Small Hands August 29, 2019
- Leo Club Comes to SMA August 12, 2019
- New Year, New Faces at SMA August 6, 2019
- Conditioning Camp: Record Breaking Summer July 31, 2019
- Relocation for Lower, Middle School June 13, 2019
- Civilian Response: SMA Stays ALERRT April 29, 2019
- Graduation: SMA Style April 24, 2019
- Youth Commission: Vazquez Serves Community March 16, 2019
- Audiobooks: Struggling Readers Have an Ally March 11, 2019
- Open Letter to SMA Fans February 8, 2019
- Mental Health Counselor’s Corner February 6, 2019