Raising children who are happy and healthy is a challenge for every parent. When we think about the health of our children, we must consider their mental health as well as their physical health.
In this blog, our LPC Shelley Roberts provides resources and info on two mental health topics: 1) substance abuse support and 2) grief/bereavement support.
Mental Health: Support for Addiction
Cenikor, a provider of quality substance abuse and behavioral health services in San Marcos and other communities, is hosting a series of family coffee talks. These coffee talks will provide recovery support services, education, and mutual support to family members and allies of individuals struggling with addiction.
Coffee Talks are on the third Wednesday of every month starting in February (Feb. 20, March 20, April 17, May 15, June 19 and July 17). The group meets at the Cenikor Offices at 1601 Dutton Drive, Suite E.
The first meeting will include a lesson on understanding addiction and recognizing risk factors. The leader will also introduce the concept of recovery and its many pathways.
For more information on these talks, contact Elyse Greenamyre, youth recovery leader, at (512) 396- 7695 ext. 5217.
Mental Health: Children’s Grief Program
The Children’s Grief Program at Hope Hospice is now registering for Camp HavenHeart Families, a weekend retreat for families with children ages 5+ who are grieving the death of a loved one. This camp is for families, so adult family members must attend with children (i.e. this is not a youth-only camp.) Camp HavenHeart is FREE to attend thanks to community support.
This year’s camp will include activities to memorialize loved ones and teach healthy ways of coping with grief through art, games, outdoor activities, and sharing circles. Children and adults can connect with others who have experienced a similar loss. This interaction fosters emotional support in a non-judgmental environment. The camp will take place April 13-14, 2019 at John Newcombe Tennis Ranch in New Braunfels, TX. It includes an overnight stay and meals.
The registration deadline for this camp is March 8, 2019. Each family must have a screening interview at the Hope Hospice office in New Braunfels, TX. Campers are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis after staff determine if they are emotionally ready to participate in and benefit from the camp. Those who have not yet attended one of Hope Hospice’s camps will get priority.
If you have any questions about Camp HavenHeart Families, please call or email Nicole Uhlenbrock, Children’s Grief Counselor, at 830-358-5300.
- Christmas Shopping at the Sabre December 5, 2019
- Eyes Open Wide: Lions Conduct Vision Screening December 2, 2019
- Red Ribbon Week: Stay Drug Free October 21, 2019
- Homecoming: SMA’s Oldest Living Graduate September 24, 2019
- Protecting Your Phone from Small Hands August 29, 2019
- Leo Club Comes to SMA August 12, 2019
- New Year, New Faces at SMA August 6, 2019
- Conditioning Camp: Record Breaking Summer July 31, 2019
- Relocation for Lower, Middle School June 13, 2019
- Civilian Response: SMA Stays ALERRT April 29, 2019
- Graduation: SMA Style April 24, 2019
- Youth Commission: Vazquez Serves Community March 16, 2019
- Audiobooks: Struggling Readers Have an Ally March 11, 2019
- Open Letter to SMA Fans February 8, 2019
- Mental Health Counselor’s Corner February 6, 2019