Following the successful debut of an elementary (fourth and fifth grade) program this year, San Marcos Academy will add four additional grades next year to become a K-12 school in the Fall of 2018. While elementary instruction is not new to the Academy, it has been more than three decades since students in K-5 have roamed the campus of SMA. Restoring an elementary component to the Academy is a major undertaking, but the excitement is growing with each new step in the process.
The SMA Lower School will be open to day students in kindergarten through fifth grade. We are currently taking applications for these grades though our online application portal and are scheduling appointments with parents for a personal interview and tour of our campus. We also encourage parents to schedule a visit for their child or children on one of our student tour days. Visits for parents and students can be scheduled through our admissions office at 512-753-8000.
Consider what we will be offering in our new kindergarten and elementary classrooms:
- Diverse phonics-based curriculum with Saxon Math; designed to give students the best possible foundation for middle school
- P.E. and recess offered daily
- Collaborative and functional furniture and technology in all classrooms
- Science Fair and other hands-on learning projects
- Music and art training, including a Lower School Choir and performance opportunities
- Instruction in Spanish with mix of Latin and Greek roots
- Access to a registered nurse and infirmary
- Safety features include front access gate, regular SRP* drills, PA system and cameras and campus safety officer (*County-wide Standard Response Protocol)
- Supervised drop-off and pick-up
- Accommodated Learning Program provides support for students with mild to moderate learning differences (additional fee)
- Hot lunch served daily in our full-service dining hall; snack served in classrooms
- Daily Bible Study, Prayer Time and Devotions; weekly chapel service
- Age-appropriate participation in school-wide activities, events and traditions at SMA such as Homecoming, local parades, festivals and performances
- Parents have online access to RenWeb (school management system) and Smart Tuition (financial management system)
- Early Care (7-7:30 a.m.) available
- After-school Program (3:50-5:30 p.m.) available; fee includes supervised play, study time and snack
For all this, the Academy’s tuition and fees are comparable to the cost of other private schools in the San Marcos and surrounding areas. Our program includes tuition, hot lunch and snack, classroom set of books and basic infirmary care for $6,500 (K-2) or $7,000 (3-5). Payment plans can be arranged for an additional 5 percent charge. Families with more than one student at the Academy at the same time will automatically receive our sibling discount of 5 percent off per student.
The SMA Lower School will start at 8 a.m. Monday-Friday, which is the same time as the middle and upper grades start their day. The regular drop-off window will be from 7:30-8 a.m. and early care can be arranged from 7-7:30 a.m. for an additional fee. School ends in the K-5 classrooms at 3:40 p.m. and the optional after-school program will be available from 3:50-5:30 p.m. for an additional fee.
Call or come by to see us at San Marcos Academy to find out more about our new K-5 program as well as our outstanding middle and upper school programs. The oldest private school in Hays County, SMA is fully accredited and approved by the Texas Education Agency. Since 1907, we have maintained an tradition of excellence in Christian education, and we cannot wait to see what the future will hold.